Luther Place Memorial Church in Washington, D.C. is a neo-Gothic church built in 1873 as a memorial to peace and reconciliation following the Civil War.
Luther Place was built in 1873 by architects Judson York, J.C. Harkness, and Henry Davis. The church, like many others, resembles the shape of a ship, symbolizing a vessel for God’s work, and it is well known for its stained glass windows picturing twelve reformers: Gustavus Adolphus, John Huss, John Wycliffe, Philipp Melanchthon, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King, Jr., Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Harriet Tubman, John Knox, John Calvin, Huldrych Zwingli, and John Wesley. The church’s exterior is covered with red sandstone from the Seneca Quarry, the same quarry that provided the stone for the Smithsonian Castle.
In 1904, Luther Place suffered damage from a fire, leading to restoration of the church. President Theodore Roosevelt spoke at the restoration ceremony, saying, “The Lutheran Church is destined to become one of the two or three greatest churches, most distinctly American.”
Since the early 1960’s, Ev-Air-Tight, Shoemaker has cleaned, tuckpointed, birdproofed, repaired elements of the steeple, patched deteriorated stone and handled varied requests for repairs to this historic building’s exterior. In this photograph, our skilled mechanic is completing a stone restoration project on some window surrounds where color and texture matches are difficult and important.
When quality, reliability, and integrity are key, Ev-Air-Tight, Shoemaker is the one to call.